Thursday, November 04, 2010

g is for graffiti, grand and blood. what?

There's not a lot of graffiti around here that I've seen but this caught my attention yesterday:


It's the message that got me - what if there were no music?  GASP.  HORROR.  Life just wouldn't be worth living anymore!  Speaking of not living life anymore, you should have seen the Bear and I traipsing up the motorway to get this photo.  I'm surprised we didn't cause an accident. 

Incidentally, when we saw the graffiti we were on our way to practice on this:


This is the baby grand I'll be taking my exam on soon.  Since I only have a keyboard, I thought it would be good to practice on the real thing now and then.  That's what dedication looks like, people. 

Here I am, plugging away:


It's not Mozart, but it'll have to do for now. 

My piano teacher, who has again had the nerve to have a life and go on vacation, told me to "practice hard" while he was gone.  Well, practice hard I did.  Want proof?  Here's your proof:


Do you see that?  No?  LET ME ZOOM IN FOR YOU.


You know what that is?  Blood.  Mine.  THAT is how hard I was practicing - until my fingers bled.  Literally. 

Not really sure how it happened, but my thumb started to bleed.  I must have been really into my grade 2 music because I would never have known had the keyboard not suddenly turned crimson streaky red.  I didn't stop practicing, though.  I mean the damage was done by then and I need to practice, practice, practice!

It was a very good day and a very good practice, bloody appendage and nearly getting killed by oncoming traffic aside. 

Oh and yes - I'll be sending this post to my piano teacher, rest assured.  Everyone say hello. 


Jenny Matlock

25 comments:

Amiko said...

Oh my, your thumb bleeding. I love that grand piano, I wish I could have one... so my daughter can play piano.

Serline said...

Wow, that is dedication. You should get a teacher like my daughter's... he is a concert pianist and a slave driver behind that grand piano of his at the Alliance Francaise!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

Wow! You really practiced hard. Good luck!

Paige said...

That is impressive! Practice until you bleed!

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

Bleeding on the piano ... GIRL. You have some ish-ahs, as we'd say in the South. HOLY COW!

Los said...

I've heard of guitar players playing so much, that they bled, and their calluses on their fingertips fell off ... then, they'd go back and glue the calluses back onto their fingertips to play some more ... I don't think I have quite that kind of drive ...

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

This post reminds me of my mom who was quite the pianist! She could really belt them out!!!

jen said...

I've practiced a lot in my time. NEVER bled on the piano. Can I have free tickets to your first recital with Yo Yo Ma?

H said...

Ouch! That is called dedication! When is your exam?

Anita Johnson said...

Is that what they mean by no pain, no gain? Maybe that's why I can't play. I faint at the sight of blood. Heading to get ice before I pass out! LOL. (-:

Jenners said...

Well, if the graffiti came true, at least there wouldn't be blood on the keyboard.

love your updo!

Mrs.Mayhem said...

That is dedication!

Stef said...

Wow! That is some serious practicing. Look at that hand positioning. My kids would be so proud of you (They struggle with this...maybe because we don't have a piano bench...)
Love that pictures, BTW!

Jen said...

Real dedication! Yes!
Get it on video...we wanna hear you play!

•••Mumsy••• said...

Bleeding on the keyboard? Now, that's dedication to the max!

Judie said...

I noticed that blood on the keys! Time to rest those fingers and let them heal! I wish you wonderful success!!

Unknown Mami said...

Talk about suffering for your art!

Sabrina said...

So, how did it feel to practice on that beautiful piano? I bet the blood was worth it! I hope your exam goes well and I look forward to hearing how it goes!!!

Jo said...

that graffiti is interesting ... and how ironic was it seeing it on your way to practice ...

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Hello, Paige's Piano Teacher!

Hey, Paige, I wonder how many people saw that message and turned on their radio right away or went home and played their instrument. I know I would turn my radio on, if it wasn't. Or, just start singing.

Your story would make a great scene in a movie. :-)

Cheryl said...

Great Gs! That grafitti is heart-stopping. I can't wait to hear more about how your exam goes.

myorii said...

Love the G post! Wow, the world would be so depressing if music no longer existed. What will dance to then?!

I can't believe you practiced until your fingers bled. That is some serious dedication! I hope they're not hurting too much!

Jenny said...

I love that graffiti. That would have stopped me in my tracks, too. I have certainly played my guitar until my fingers bled, but wow, girl, to make your fingers bleed on a piano. You are, indeed, extremely dedicated.

Thank you for this fascinating stop on our little journey through Alphabe-Thursday.

I am really impressed with your dedication. I wish we could hear a sound file of your playing.

Thank you for linking.

A+

Tina said...

omg you have been practising hard havent you! hope your thumb feels a bit better now!

ChristiS said...

Wow..now that IS dedication! I would imagine, from having a friend in college who was majoring in piano, that you also have calluses and muscular hands!

Running late catching up on g posts!! :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails